Tuesday, May 02, 2017

I went on assignment to the East County Blended Community school on E. Main St. in El Cajon (the car dealer on El Cajon Blvd. where I bought my son his first car pronounced it as it's spelled, the English way, "L-Kay-jin," and he was not an Anglo but an Iranian). The students were jaded from too much youtubing ("drunk fights compilation" and vignettes of guys hanging from precarious positions on the outside of tall buildings, and videos of various pranks and ridiculous stunts), and my son criticized me the other day for being jaded from the middle-class suburban life. There was a tutor, an Arabic woman, for the Iraqi refugees and the lone Afghani boy from Kabul who was kicked out of school for bringing a knife onto school grounds. This school I subbed at is for juveniles who have been kicked out of school for various reasons from the 7th to the 12th grades. One boy pleaded with me not to write him up for his behavior in the classroom because he didn't want his PO to get wind of it. Another boy was a Chicano, very round like a snowman and had chino eyes. He was from south El Cajon and he told me in his journal exercise on "the history of you" that his neighborhood had changed since the Chaldeans (the Iraqis) had arrived. The violence of the "OG's" had subsided. He wore a big silver crucifix around his neck and a blue and white checkered shirt, untucked, with open collar. He wore his black, flat brimmed baseball cap down to his eyebrows.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home