Thursday, May 11, 2017

I returned to the school on the corner of Fourth Avenue and L Street: Lillian J. Rice Elementary. The secretary this morning was more friendly,  she offered me a cup of coffee while I was waiting for my classroom assignment. I returned to Ms. R's Kindergarten class, where I had been yesterday. Rice is a dual immersion school. Two groups of students have two different teachers during the day. I was in the English classroom conducted by Ms. R, who also speaks Spanish. The Spanish classroom is next to Ms. R's classroom connected by a door. We had the green group in the morning while the blue group was with the Spanish teacher. The green group went over to the Spanish classroom at 11, when I left, since I had only a half day assignment. Ms. R was doing testing, so I conducted the class while she tested students individually. When I left, Ms. R said, as the blue group was entering the classroom, "I do it all over again."
I recall what a principal during an interview told me in Albuquerque back in the late 80's: "You are a dinosaur." I was an ESL teacher. He said the trend was bilingualism. Indeed, here in California, that is the case, at least in so. Cal.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home